Dog ate sand and is throwing up and shaking
- What Happens if My Dog Eats Sand?
- Post navigation
- Ernst: Dog nearly dies from ingesting sand
- Dog suffers from ‘sand impaction’ after playing fetch on the beach
What Happens if My Dog Eats Sand?
4 Symptoms That Could Cost Your Dog Its Lifeand watch lets make a deal
This is the first in a series of blogs about pets who have been treated for intestinal problems. Summer is a time for fun and relaxation, but not for poor Lola. After a restful weekend at the beach, she started vomiting and ended up at The Animal Medical Center waiting to be seen by the emergency service. Her story is a cautionary tale for dog owners. Lola is a 5 year old female Havanese , a small breed dog unfamiliar to many Americans.
Adrienne is a certified dog trainer, former veterinary assistant, and the author of "Brain Training for Dogs. Going to the beach is a multi-sensorial experience for your dog. Romping around on the sand, chasing the waves, or simply soaking up sun rays on a cozy blanket will surely make him happy. However, as a loving, caring owner, you must be aware of some potential hidden dangers in order to protect your dog from harm. Following are some guidelines to protect your pooch at the beach so that both of you can have a good time. As you may already know, dogs don't tolerate heat as well as humans do.
Sadie the Doberman's intestines were blocked by a buildup of sand, requiring an emergency procedure. When Sadie refused to eat, they knew something was wrong. The month-old Doberman pinscher usually wolfs down her food, then looks up, then down at the empty bowl asking for more. On Monday evening, Sadie had no interest in much of anything. She seemed lethargic, barely getting up when my son, Tyler, and his fiancee, Jennifer Nehring, entered the house. Later, the dog started to retch.
But unfortunately for the eight-year-old boxer, his love of racing around on the sand resulted in him being rushed to Vets Now in Colwyn Bay with what seemed like a vomiting bug. It turned out Ben was suffering from a potentially serious condition called intestinal sand impaction. This happens when dogs inadvertently swallow sand while digging or repeatedly picking up sandy balls and toys — and it requires urgent veterinary treatment. Ben also had a new toy, a kind of tyre that was hollowed out. When we got home, my trainers were absolutely full of sand, so I guess his toy will have been too.
Whether that stroll takes place at a lake, river, or ocean, part of the enjoyment is the familiar feel of bare feet pushing into cold, wet sand. Your canine companion may or may not notice the sand beneath her paws., The beach can be a great place to walk or run a dog.
Ernst: Dog nearly dies from ingesting sand
Dog suffers from ‘sand impaction’ after playing fetch on the beach